What is Symbian^3?
Symbian^3 is the first fully open source version of the Symbian platform, and the second release of the Symbian platform by the Symbian Foundation. It extends Symbian^2 in many ways, including graphics support for advanced layering and effects, full HDMI support for a great television playback experience and improved data performance – ideal for streaming high definition audio and video. View the full press release or their blog for more information.
There’s a lot to benefit both users and developers in Symbian^3!
The most important improvements to the user experience:
- Networking An improved networking architecture, ideal for streaming high definition audio and video
- Multimedia Full HDMI support with HDCP to provide a great high definition video experience when plugging your mobile device into a television
- Graphics Re-architected to harness the full power of graphics hardware acceleration and provide support for advanced layering and effects
- Usability Improved single tap support to make the UI more fluid and easy to use
Symbian^3 for Developers
- Qt 4.6 Application Framework Availability of the Qt 4.6 application framework for Symbian^3 is a key step in the evolution of Symbian’s application development environment – it will become the primary application framework in Symbian^4. Availability in Symbian^3 allows developers to start unleashing the power of this new runtime, to plan new applications and to start the migration of their existing applications.
- Smart Installer for dependency management We have added “smart installer” technology in S^3 which makes it possible to fetch and install the correct version of Qt automatically when a user attempts to download a Qt-based application.
Learn more about Symbian^3 for Developers!
Can I get my hands on S^3 now?